Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Looking back on our visit




After viewing the community that surrounds Earth on the outside, in comparison with Earths campus inside, I realize how important it is for there to a be a connection between the two. Earths land and resources is so vast with space and vegetation that visualizing areas of the built environment must be chosen with good reason and with some constraint to preserve as much of Earths natural habitat. Driving along the main road at Earth, and viewing Adastra in relation to everything else, despite its unappealing design, doesn't make any relation to its surroundings at Earth or even Earths landscape. The area of land that was cleared on the way to the river gave me a similar feeling that whatever gets constructed there must not lay on the surface but must interact and try to become one with the land and surroundings that it is disrupting. I almost wish I could visualize earth from a ariel view, which could give a different understanding of the land and  its surroundings. 
After visiting earth, I realize how the campus is at the point where it could go in many different directions. This could mean that what we produce as RISD students could actually give important insight to how they go about planning in the future. I find there is so much free room for ideas of what could be thought of or what could be implemented at Earth. I find that my final project can be very open and explore a broad range of ideas. Although I personally didn't find a lot of answers to my questions to what I am specifically interested in, I did find contacts that will be very useful in my research. As hard as it was to come up with ideas away from Earth during the first half of the semester, and although we visited Earth, I find it will be just as hard to complete final projects away from the campus. Being at Earth and being an on-sight researcher would be much more ideal to come up with a final idea that works. Overall, I would like to contribute to Earths new campus plans by producing a material that could be produced on campus and using natural materials. 

No comments: